Aug 03

Mets Starter: Matz Faces Yankees

There was a time this season when Steven Matz was sitting on top of the National League and had emerged as the Mets’ ace. After losing his first start, Matz reeled off seven straight victories and was 7-1 with a 2.36 ERA. That run included a May 9 start against the Dodgers when it was learned he had a bone spur in his elbow.

MATZ: Goes vs. Yanks. (MLB)

MATZ: Goes vs. Yanks. (MLB)

When he needed to skip a start, if not go on the disabled list, manager Terry Collins kept running him out there. The best the Mets did was push a start back one day at the end of June. One day.

“We will continue to monitor his situation but at this point, it’s a function of whether he can tolerate the discomfort while continuing to pitch,” said Mets GM/Dr. Sandy Alderson. “At the same time, what we will do is monitor that level of discomfort, monitor his mechanics to make sure whatever discomfort he has doesn’t cause him to do something that leads to something else, and we’ll monitor it on a start-by-start basis.”

So far, Matz has held up, but he hasn’t been the same and it just isn’t all about a lack of run support. Matz will take his 8-7 record to the mound tonight at Yankee Stadium.

Please follow me on Twitter

Feb 03

Alderson Done Shopping

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said this afternoon the team is done shopping for the winter, but that doesn’t mean something won’t get done during spring training. Let’s hope so, because I’m not convinced the bullpen still doesn’t need some work.

Toward that end, Alderson’s decree means Tyler Clippard won’t be signed to a major league contract. Clippard wants a two-year deal.

For the Mets, a major league deal means someone must come off the 40-man roster. The acquisitions of left reliever Antonio Bastardo and outfielder Yoenis Cespedes cost the Mets reliever Carlos Torres (cleared waivers and became a free agent) and Darrell Ceciliani (designated for assignment and traded to Toronto for cash).

“We just lost Ceciliani because we had to make a roster spot,” Alderson told ESPN.  “We’re at the point now where we have to balance what we might lose player-wise on the 40-man with what we might gain. … Giving a major league contract, you lose some flexibility – the ability to move people in and out. You almost make a commitment that I’m not sure we’re prepared to make right now with what’s on the market.”

For now, it is just as well the Mets are done. Like I said, it doesn’t mean things might not happen in spring training. As Opening Day gets closer and teams trim their rosters, there’s a new wave of free agents to hit the market. Who knows? If Clippard isn’t signed he might be available and willing to take one year.

Or, maybe there will be somebody better than Clippard.

 

 

Feb 01

Mets’ Bullpen Still Needs Work

With pitchers-and-catchers two weeks away, the Mets still have work to do with their bullpen. Signing left-hander Antonio Bastardo to a two-year deal. As it is now, the Mets’ bullpen is constructed with closer Jeurys Familia, set-up man Addison Reed, lefties Bastardo, Jerry Blevins and Sean Gilmartin, and right-handers Erik Goeddel, Logan Verrett and Hansel Robles.

CLIPPARD: Still a possibility. (AP)

CLIPPARD: Still a possibility. (AP)

Perhaps the Mets’ biggest pen question outside of depth is Familia. He came out of nowhere when Jenrry Mejia was suspended and developed into a dominant closer. However, he didn’t have a great postseason which begs the question: Did the workload catch up with him?

The Mets haven’t given up on re-signing Tyler Clippard, who appeared in 32 games for them and was 4-1 with a 3.06 ERA. He struck out 26 and walked 10 in 32 innings before running out of gas and losing the set-up role to Reed. Somebody will have to go if Clippard is signed, and the guess here is could be Goeddel.

I’m all for brining back Clippard, but not for two years. I would give him one year plus an option which would kick in based on the number of appearances. If he hadn’t lost steam at the end I would consider it, but not given with what we saw last year.

Bartolo Colon will likely re-join the bullpen when Zack Wheeler comes off the disabled list. Mejia will start the season on the suspended list. It is also possible Rafael Montero could open the season in the bullpen. Should Montero open the year in the minor leagues, the hope here is it won’t be in the rotation but in the

For all the potential of the Mets’ starting rotation, a thin bullpen makes it vulnerable.

 

Jan 02

Did Mets Make Right Call On Cespedes?

New York Mets v Atlanta Braves

When last we checked, free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes not only had appeared on the radar of the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore Orioles according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, but both teams had emerged as the frontrunners to sign the former New York Met juggernaut. That was three days ago.

However, we have a little more clarity on the Cespedes front as the calendar flips to 2016, and none of it is particularly good news for the free agent who bellowed his demands for a six-year deal three months ago.

To begin, it turns out that the Orioles – while interested – never had any intentions of coming close to the $150 million Cespedes and his representatives at Roc Nation had set their sights on. The two sides are reportedly not even in the same zip code.

And as for the other frontrunner on the south side of Chicago, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported today that their interest in Cespedes is limited to a deal for no more than three years.

Sound familiar? It should. Three years was the most Sandy Alderson and the Mets were willing to offer Cespedes according to what team sources told Jon Heyman, and that firm stance ultimately led to the end of any negotiations with Roc Nation. In fact, the conversation between the two sides never even advanced to the point of discussing dollars.

Now, I’m never one to defend the Mets’ frugal ways, however last week I raised the possibility that perhaps this was not a case of the Mets being cheap, but simply a smart baseball decision by a general manager who has never taken kindly to handing out second generation contracts to players on the wrong side of thirty. It’s possible isn’t it?

Those of you who have followed this site since its inception 12 years ago, know all too well that I am not the least bit squeamish about hammering the Wilpons every chance I get. But this feels different to me.

Oh. I’m sure there’s no doubt Fred and Jeff were doing Ralph Kramden’s version of the Watusi when they heard about Sandy’s stance on Cespedes. I’m just saying that this wasn’t a case of them pressuring their GM to back off, or applying those well-polished fiscal handcuffs. Maybe giving Cespedes a six year deal is just a terrible baseball decision for the Mets or any other MLB team.

Still, our poor Mets took a lot of flak upon the news of their three-year or nothing posture, with most of the incoming fire coming from their own fan base itself. Perhaps the Mets front office was being judged a little too harshly based on today’s rumblings on the Cespedes front. Perhaps the Mets may have even been a little ahead of the curve?

In an offseason fraught with spending madness and vast ungodly sums of dollars being thrown about with such reckless abandon, maybe on this one occasion Sandy Alderson and John Ricco were being the adults in the room? It’s possible, isn’t it?

Anyway, there it is… My first article of 2016 is in the books and whether you agree or not, I hope I gave you something to think about. Happy New Year, my friends.

Dec 12

Cuddyer’s Retirement Adds To Mets’ Coffers

It seemed a decent idea at the time, but in the end Micheal Cuddyer gave the Mets more in retirement than anything he did on the field. Signed to a two-year deal to provide right-handed outfield pop, injuries sabotaged his first season with the Mets.

CUDDYER: Retires with money on table. (Getty)

CUDDYER: Retires with money on table. (Getty)

In announcing his retirement on an internet website, Cuddyer saves the Mets roughly $12.5 million. That’s not enough to bring back Yoenis Cespedes, but that, plus the roughly $56 million they won’t have to pay Ben Zobrist gives the Mets financial flexibility.

“With one year left on my contract, it is especially difficult to imagine not suiting up in a Mets uniform for one more year,” Cuddyer wrote. “But after 15 years, the toll on my body has finally caught up to me.”

How much of the $12.5 million the Mets will keep hasn’t been announced as there is a probability he will receive some as a buyout.

Cuddyer’s retirement leaves the Mets two outfield holes to fill: 1) a right-handed bat off the bench, and 2) the left-handed platoon for center fielder Juan Lagares.