Johan Santana will test his surgically-repaired left elbow off the mound tomorrow, the second day of the Mets’ three-day mini-camp.Santana underwent surgery, Sept. 1, and the prognosis is good for his return by Opening Day.
SANTANA: Goes off mound tomorrow.
It’s the first time he’s thrown off the mound since the surgery.
Speaking to reporters today in Port St. Lucie, Santana said: “I’m feeling good. Time will tell, but I am feeling good. We did a pretty good job with the offseason, working out and doing all the rehab, and I’m feeling good. Everything is on schedule.”
In other injury news, Oliver Perez said he’s not feeling any discomfort in his right knee, which had scar tissue removed. … GM Omar Minaya said he’s still exploring the catching market after losing FA Bengie Molina to San Francisco.
Santana went through this before when he was with Minnesota, so he has a frame of reference.
While the Mets are waiting to improve their pitching, it wouldn’t hurt to take a diversion and continue to add to their bench. There’s still a matter of the Daniel Murphy platoon at first base.
With Carlos Delgado not showing in winter ball he’s capable of the defensive end of it, why not go with Ryan Garko at first over Fernando Tatis?
Garko hit a combined .268 with 13 homers and 51 RBI last season for Cleveland and San Francisco. Tatis, who has been serviceable the last two seasons with the Mets, doesn’t have that power. Instead, he’ll be remembered for grounding into 13 double plays last year.
Garko won’t come at a high price, has some pop and plays first base by trade. I’d go with him over Tatis.
It’s called hardball for a reason, so why aren’t the Mets playing it with Jason Bay and Bengie Molina?
With Milton Bradley going to Seattle – the Mariners will regret that soon enough – there appears no other team interested in Bay. I keep hearing San Francisco and the Angels, but there’s nothing to substantiate him going to either team.
There’s no other team willing to give him a fifth year, so why should the Mets? Maybe, there could be an option, but nothing guaranteed. I liked Bay, but the longer this drags on the more I think “why bother …. something has to be wrong if nobody else is in this game.”
As for as Molina is concerned, he’s nuts to think at his age he’ll get three years.
I would have no problem with Omar Minaya telling each the offer on the table is now a “take it or leave it,” proposal.
The Mets are in serious negotiations with outfielder Jason Bay, and are presumably the team with the most interest.
Seattle, Los Angeles Angels and San Francisco also have interest, but it is considered minimal in comparison to the Mets’ package of $65-million over four years, which they reportedly are willing to increase with a fifth year.
Given this, it might be time for the Mets to play hardball with their best and final offer, telling Bay to take it or leave it. Then, they can go after some pitching.