Feb 24

Looking At Mets’ Position Battles

The New York Mets begin their exhibition season this week, and with it will come the renewed focus on the club’s position battles and roster issues.

LANNAN: To compete for No. 5 starter role.

LANNAN: To compete for No. 5 starter role.

Let’s take a quick look:

FIFTH STARTER: John Lannan, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jenrry Mejia are in line. Matsuzaka is considered the front-runner because of his performance at the end of last year and the desire not to rush Mejia, who is coming off elbow surgery. An argument in Lannan’s favor is it would give the Mets two left-handers in the rotation.

THE BULLPEN: The configuration of the bullpen is contingent on Bobby Parnell’s recovery from neck surgery. The Mets figure to carry seven relievers, including Vic Black, Jose Valverde, Kyle Farnsworth and Scott Rice. That leaves Carlos Torres, Josh Edgin, Gonzalez Germen, Jeurys Familia, Jeff Walters and Ryan Reid competing for two spots. This will provide the most competition. If Parnell isn’t ready, Black will close and the Mets will take another reliever.

FIRST BASE: Ike Davis or Lucas Duda? The Mets were unable to deal Davis, who reportedly concealed an oblique injury, and Sunday sparred with reporters about the story’s accuracy. None of this makes Davis look good. Both could stick on the Opening Day roster because the Mets have an April series at Anaheim and Duda could be the DH.

OUTFIELD: Does Juan Lagares stick or not? Defensively, he should start in center, but his offense is poor. Will they give him his at-bats in the minor leagues – which would also resolve the question at leadoff – or force-feed him in the majors?

 

Feb 21

Wrapping The Day: Parnell Ailing; Fonzie In Camp; Collins Hints At Outfield Cuts

Closer Bobby Parnell did not throw today because of tightness in his left quadriceps muscle sustained covering first base Thursday afternoon.

Parnell threw 35 pitches Tuesday and is listed day-to-day, although manager Terry Collins is hopeful he’ll be able to go off the mound Saturday.

Parnell is recovering from neck surgery and his availability to start the season is questionable.

In addition:

* Collins hinted outfielders Matt den Dekker, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Andrew Brown and Cesar Puello would likely open the season at Triple-A Las Vegas. “I think Matt den Dekker is still a huge prospect here.’’ Collins said. “It gives us an ample amount of insurance.’’

* General manager Sandy Alderson said he doesn’t want Mets catchers to block the plate this season. Alderson wants to avoid collisions as to stay healthy.

* Former Mets second baseman Edgardo Alfonzo is in camp as a roving minor league instructor.

* Pitching prospect Chasen Bradford won’t be able to throw for a week because of a strained oblique muscle.

* Position players underwent physicals today and the team will have its first full-squad workout Saturday.

 

Feb 21

Bobby Parnell Injures Quad Muscle

Closer Bobby Parnell is day-to-day with a strained quad muscle. Parnell was injured covering first base during a pitchers fielding drill Thursday.

Parnell was scheduled to throw off the mound Thursday, but pushed his session back a day to be cautious. Then came the injury.

Pitching coach Dan Warthen said he didn’t believe the injury was serious.

“Everyone thinks it’s very, very mild,’’ Warthen told reporters. “He wanted to throw today.’’

Parnell, who is coming off neck surgery to repair a herniated disc, threw 35 pitches in the bullpen Tuesday, but doesn’t know when he will throw again.

It was questionable to begin with whether Parnell will be ready for the start of the season. This sets him back even further, but the team isn’t close to saying there’s a sense of urgency with him.

If Parnell isn’t ready, the Mets plan on using Vic Black as the closer. They also signed veterans Jose Valverde and Kyle Farnsworth for bullpen depth.

 

Feb 20

Wrapping The Day: Harvey Cleared; Parnell Takes It Slow

Unquestionably, the most important item coming out of the New York Mets’ spring training camp in Port St. Lucie was the news recovering pitcher Matt Harvey was cleared to throw.

“[Dr. David Altchek] said everything was fine and basically that I can start throwing,’’ Harvey told reporters today. “So I don’t know exactly which date that is, but in the next couple of days. That was obviously good news for me.’’

Harvey acknowledged he can’t afford to rush his rehab, and spoke specifically with Altchek about that issue.

In addition:

* Closer Bobby Parnell is taking it slowly in his rehab (Harvey, please take note). Parnell was supposed to throw off the mound today, but pushed it back until tomorrow.

* Manager Terry Collins said reliever Jeurys Familia has the stuff to be a closer. However, does he have the command and mental make-up?

* ESPN reported the Mets are monitoring the Seattle Mariners about shortstop Nick Franklin. Mets’ back-up shortstop Omar Quintanilla reported to camp.

* Position players will have their physicals Friday, with the first full-squad workout scheduled for Saturday.

Feb 18

Mets Putting Themselves In Good Financial Shape For Future

Over the past five seasons – all below .500 – the New York Mets were bogged down by cumbersome contracts to unproductive players. It was economic certainty, but in a bad way.

This should be the third consecutive year the Mets will have a payroll of less than $100 million. They have long pointed to 2015 as when they will put themselves in a competitive position, and are currently set up to do so with payroll flexibility through 2019.

Heading into 2015, the Mets have $54.05 million earmarked to four players: David Wright ($20 million), Curtis Granderson ($16 million), Bartolo Colon ($11 million) and Jonathon Niese ($7.05 million).

Where teams usually get bit in their payroll is during the arbitration process and the Mets will have eight players eligible: Daniel Murphy, Bobby Parnell, Dillon Gee, Ike Davis, Eric Young, Lucas Duda, Jenrry Mejia and Ruben Tejada.

Of the eight, it is possible four – Davis, Young, Duda and Tejada – could be gone, with some before the end of this season.

Only one player is scheduled to be a free agent after this year and that’s Chris Young, who nobody expects to be back.

In 2016, the Mets have $45.05 million designated for three players: Wright ($20 million), Granderson ($16 million) and Niese $9.050 million).

Their arbitration eligible list that off-season expands to 14 to leave open the possibility for a significant payroll spike. The list includes: Gee, Davis, Eric Young, Duda, Tejada, Scott Rice, Matt Harvey, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Mejia, Josh Edgin, Jeurys Familia, Anthony Recker, Andrew Brown and Carlos Torres.

By this time, there’s no telling who will still be in the organization. Harvey and possibly Gee could be given multi-year deals by then. Everybody else is up the air. It’s also questionable if Nieuwenhuis and Brown will still be around, as neither one has made serious strides in sticking around.

Their 2016 free agents will be Colon, Murphy and Parnell.

In 2017, the Mets have $35.5 million earmarked for Wright ($20 million), Granderson ($15 million) and a half-million buyout for Niese.

Their arbitration eligible players will be Duda, Tejada, Rice, Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Nieuwenhuis, Mejia, Edgin, Torres. Familia, Recker and Brown, with their free agents Gee, Davis and Eric Young.

Wright ($20 million) is the only player under contract for 2018. The arbitration eligible Mets will be Rice, Harvey, Nieuwenhuis, Torres. Mejia, Edgin, Familia, Recker, Wheeler and Brown. That year Granderson, Duda and Tejada will be free agents.

In 2019 they’ll owe Wright $15 million, with Torres and Wheeler the only Mets who are arbitration eligible. Potential free agents will be Rice, Harvey, Nieuwenhuis, Mejia, Edgin, Familia, Recker and Brown.

The Mets have long talked about cutting payroll costs to put themselves in position to seriously enter the free-agent market. It now appears they might actually be able to do it.