Dec 26

Dec. 26.09: Pitching market not great ….

The real trend-setter for starting pitcher’s contracts isn’t John Lackey but Randy Wolf, he of the 101-85 career record in 11 years (basically 10-9 a season), who signed a three-year contract with Milwaukee for $29.75 million.

Ben Sheets, despite his injury history, wants $12 million per season and Joel Pineiro wants a four-year deal with a higher annual average than Wolf. Aroldis Chapman, the Cuban defector who has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues, has a $15.5 million offer on the table from the Red Sox.

Also, lurking are Pedro Martinez, Erik Bedard, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Brett Myers. There are three Hall of Famers there, but that’s in the future and past tenses. Present tense, well, they aren’t much better than whom the Mets have now.

For the Mets to add pitching, their choices are to overpay for mediocrity, or in the case of Sheets, take a health gamble. The Mets are gambling their current rotation will progress, and if it doesn’t, then at least they have the economics on their side (save Oliver Perez).

Not encouraging, is it?

Dec 15

Minaya promises better team ….

In the wake of yesterday’s big splash by the Phillies, Mets GM Omar Minaya promised a better team next year. Speaking to reporters at Citi Field, Minaya said: “I feel like, in past years, we have always found a way to improve our club, and I feel comfortable we will continue to work hard and, when it’s all said and done, when we get to Opening Day, our team is going to be better than they way they ended last year.”

Assuming Jose Reyes returns, David Wright regains his power stroke and a full, injury-free season from Carlos Beltran, not to mention, Johan Santana, the Mets can’t help but be better next year.

The injuries were the storyline last season, but even so there were plenty of times in which they did not perform, especially on the mound.

Minaya said the Mets aren’t done, and didn’t express discouragement as to how things have progressed.

“We have a plan, and our plan, I like our plan,” Minaya said without telling what it was. “We know who we’ve targeted, and we feel comfortable if we get our guys we’re gonna have a very good team on the field and we’re going to be a team that will compete for our division and compete for the pennant.”

The Mets ended the season needing at least two starters to address the concerns over Oliver Perez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey. They also needed a catcher and left fielder.

As of now, none of those needs have been filled.

I don’t share Minaya’s confidence. Whether or not you guys do, let me know in the newest poll.

Dec 08

Manuel touches all the bases ….

Jerry Manuel met with the New York and national media this afternoon and touched on the following issues, saying:

* The injury reports have been good and said Jose Reyes is expected to be ready for spring training.

* He anticipates David Wright having a more normal power season in 2010.

* The team can live with Daniel Murphy’s power production at first base if power comes from other sources, naming Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jeff Francoeur and whomever plays left field. Even so, he said the team remains open to bringing back Carlos Delgado.

* Bobby Parnell will come to spring training as a reliever.

* He hasn’t given up on Oliver Perez. “We have to be optimistic at this time,” he said.

Dec 07

You’re not going to like this ….

Omar Minaya just spoke with the Mets beat writers. He said progress is being made in dialogues with agents and other general managers, but he’s not close on anything.

MINAYA: Banking on a lot.

MINAYA: Banking on a lot.


He also said he believes the Mets have enough pitching without them making a move.

“Do I think we have enough pitching? Yes, I think, if our pitchers pitch to their potential,” he said. “Yes, but they have to pitch to their potential.”

OK, a show of hands, please. How many think that’s going to happen. Are you willing to gamble 1) Mike Pelfrey takes a positive step, 2) John Maine comes back healthy, 3) Oliver Perez comes back healthy and with a clue, and 4) somebody from within the organization will step forward to be the fifth starter?

Dec 01

Omar’s infamous moves ….

This time next week, Mets GM Omar Minaya will be in Indianapolis, working the room to make a deal. The flip side is also true, agents and GMs trying to work Minaya.

And, several have been successful in doing so.

Minaya has had an interesting tenure with the Mets, making some good and bad decisions. I’m interested in your opinion of the worst Minaya deals.

Here are some of the nominations:

MINAYA: What's this year's bombshell announcement?

MINAYA: What's this year's bombshell announcement?


OLIVER PEREZ: Re-signing lefty Oliver Perez last winter to a three-year, $36-million contract could go down as one of the worst deals in Mets history.

LUIS CASTILLO: Re-signing second baseman Luis Castillo to a four-year, $24-million deal after the 2007 season. Castillo redeemed his miserable 2008 season with a good year in 2009, but signing him meant the Mets couldn’t go after Orlando Hudson or any other viable second baseman. Two more years.

MOISES ALOU: After playing in just 87 games in 2007, the Mets picked up outfielder Moises Alou’s $7.5 million option. Injuries to the 41-year-old Alou limited him to 15 games the following season. Of course, it wasn’t a great idea to have the option in there in the first place.
Continue reading