Jun 13

Mets Can’t Apologize Enough To DeGrom

I suppose things could get worse for the New York Mets, but that would really be frightening, now wouldn’t it? But, it is pretty bad when the players start apologizing to the starting pitcher, as Todd Frazier did to Jacob deGrom this afternoon.

The Mets lost for the tenth time in 11 games, 2-0 to Atlanta, and are now 2-8 in deGrom’s last ten starts despite him having a 0.87 ERA in that span.

DE GROM: Wasting his starts. (AP)

DE GROM: Wasting his starts. (AP)

“I told [deGrom] after the game: ‘Dude, I am sorry,’ ” Todd Frazier said. “I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know why we’re not producing for him.”

In those 11 games, the Mets have scored two or fewer times nine times. Today, as deGrom cruised through the Braves, so did Atlanta pitcher Mike Soroka, who didn’t give up a hit until the seventh inning. The Mets’ second hit came in the ninth, Brandon Nimmo’s double with two outs in the ninth.

Then, with runners on second and third, Jay Bruce popped out swinging on the first pitch.

“We talk about trying too hard,” Frazier said. “Maybe we try too hard when he’s pitching, but a guy throws like that, he works fast, he was just dominant. Of course, he is going to give up one run and everybody is human so, for us not to put up any runs for him again, I told him, ‘I’m sorry.’ I didn’t know what else to tell him.”

DeGrom, as he usually does, said all the right things and wouldn’t point the finger at his offense.

“Nobody is happy that we’re losing,” deGrom said. “You have got to score runs to win and we haven’t been doing that, so nobody is happy with what’s going on.”

DeGrom threw only 86 pitches, and although he said he could have pitched longer, didn’t second-guess manager Mickey Callaway’s decision to pull him.

“I think it was just being smart and not trying to do too much,’’ said deGrom.

Meanwhile, the offense isn’t doing anything.

“We’ve wasted his starts,”  Bruce said.

Jun 11

Timing Of Gonzalez Release Is Bizarre

Not that Adrian Gonzalez was going to turn their season around, but the timing of the Mets releasing the 36-year-old first baseman after Sunday night’s game – even with three strikeouts – seems a little odd.

For a team in desperate need of offense, why would you release a player who is third in RBI with 26, especially with the leader Asdrubal Cabrera leaving Sunday’s game with an apparent hamstring injury and the second-ranked player in Yoenis Cespedes suffering a setback in his rehab and is out indefinitely?

GONZALEZ: Gone already. (AP)

GONZALEZ: Gone already. (AP)

Bringing up Dominic Smith, who wasn’t impressive in his trial last season, doesn’t appear to be the answer, especially when the Mets are also throwing out the idea of trying Jay Bruce and Jose Bautista at first base.

Smith, who was injured and missed most of spring training because of a strained quad muscle, never had the opportunity to compete with Gonzalez and learn from the All-Star.

As is often the case with GM Sandy Alderson, the announcement was made after the media availability to Gonzalez was over and reporters didn’t have a chance to speak with him.

The Mets will also bring up Ty Kelly with Smith and for the second time in a month, catcher Jose Lobaton was designated for assignment.

As far as Cespedes goes, there’s no timetable for his return any longer. Cespedes played in a rehab game Friday with Double-A Binghamton without incident and sustained a setback Saturday. He’s now in Port St. Lucie working with the Mets’ rehabilitation staff.

“We had been excited about the prospect of getting him back in a few days,” manager Mickey Callaway said. “But we can’t let these injuries stop us from doing what we need to do. We have other Major League players who can step up and get the job done, and that’s what we need to do.

“As this continues to move forward, and it continues to drag on, there has to be a level of understanding that it’s maybe something you battle throughout the rest of your career.

“But I don’t think we’re at that point yet. The goal is still to get him to where he can be out there and feel normal.’’

Cespedes missed 81 games last season and has already missed 24 with more games coming off the schedule on a daily basis.

Jun 08

More Injuries Sack Mets Prior To Subway Series

The Mets received a triple dose of bad news prior to first pitch of their interleague series against the Yankees. Noah Syndergaard won’t start; Jeurys Familia went on the DL; and Yoenis Cespedes probably won’t play.

Syndergaard was scratched from Sunday’s start with swelling in his right index finger and will be replaced by Seth Lugo. Syndergaard last pitched May 25 at Milwaukee

Familia went on the DL with a sore right shoulder retroactive to June 7. Familia has 14 saves in 18 opportunities with a 2.48 ERA, but has been hit hard lately, giving up four runs in the past seven innings.

Jacob Rhame took Familia’s spot on the roster.

The news hits the Mets hard as it removes Lugo and Familia from the bullpen before they face a team that is raking, having won eight of its last ten games.

Assuming the Mets have a save opportunity, Robert Gsellman seems the likely candidate to replace Familia. Then, if the Mets need a couple of innings from a reliever, where will manager Mickey Callaway go without having Lugo available?

Presumably, Anthony Swarzak could take Lugo’s spot if the Mets need a couple of innings.

As far Cespedes is concerned, I didn’t expect him to be ready this weekend.

He’ll go a minor league rehab assignment tonight. He could rest Saturday and possibly play in another rehab game Sunday.

Jun 05

Injury Updates On Syndergaard And Cespedes

The Mets received encouraging news today regarding Noah Syndergaard, and are hopeful about Yoenis Cespedes. Mets pitching coach Dave Eiland said barring a setback Syndergaard should be in line to start Sunday night’s game against the Yankees.

Syndergaard went on the disabled list with a strained ligament in his right index finger after a May 25 start in Milwaukee.

“As long as it doesn’t flare up in the next 24 hours, he should be fine,” Eiland said.

As far as Cespedes goes, he continues to thumb his nose at manager Mickey Callaway’s notion of accountability as he again refused to talk to the media after taking batting against Syndergaard.

The often-injured Cespedes, who missed 81 games last season, went on the disabled list May 16 with a mild strain of his right hip flexor.

Callaway said the Mets hope to have Cespedes run the bases and shag flies in the outfield prior to Wednesday afternoon’s game, “then we’ll go from there.”

Callaway wouldn’t say when Cespedes could return.

I was against Cespedes getting a four-year, $110-million contract for a myriad of reasons, including his injury history; failure to hustle at times; his moodiness [blowing off the media falls into this category]; and penchant for doing things his way.

As far as I’m concerned, the money would have been better spent elsewhere and the Mets don’t need his attitude.

Credit WOR’s Howie Rose for calling Cespedes’ refusal to talk as “silly,’’ and SNY’s Keith Hernandez for saying it was wrong and “that doesn’t wash with me.’’

On a positive note, Todd Frazier was activated from the disabled list after missing 24 games with a strained left hamstring and reliever Anthony Swarzak after missing two months with a strained left oblique.

“I guess I needed that time off,’’ said Frazier. “I’ve played through pain. This was one of those areas (hamstring) where you really can’t do that.’’

To make room on the roster, the Mets optioned pitcher Gerson Bautista to Triple-A Las Vegas and designated left-hander Buddy Baumann for assignment.

Jun 02

Nimmo Needs Play, Even After Cespedes Returns

The Mets appear to have found something during what is fast becoming a lost season. Ignored for bigger names, Brandon Nimmo has gotten the opportunity young players covet – and is making the most of it.

With Yoenis Cespedes and Juan Lagares injured – the latter is lost for the season – Nimmo is getting the regular at-bats that lefty-righty devotees denied him.

NIMMO: Needs to play. (SNY)

NIMMO: Needs to play. (SNY)

That must continue.

Nimmo entered Saturday’s game having homered in two straight games and getting at least two hits in four consecutive games.

“He’s been great,” manager Mickey Callaway said. “He’s doing the job on both sides of the baseball. I feel like he’s playing good defense. He’s obviously swinging the bat well, and taking his walks, things like that. He’s a young player that’s blossoming in front of us, and I think that he’s making a case for himself.”

The numbers support Callaway.

Nimmo had nine hits through May 3, but with Cespedes out, he has 11 extra-base hits, and nine RBI in his past 11 games (hitting leadoff), for a .390 average and .927 slugging percentage. Five of those extra-base hits have been homers. On May 22, Nimmo was batting a pedestrian .244. Today he’s up to .294. It’s all because he’s getting a chance.

“The more playing time that I’ve gotten has helped me get in a good rhythm, and make good adjustments,” Nimmo said. “It might be the biggest thing. I haven’t done anything drastically different. That’s the biggest thing right there.”

More than his production is Nimmo’s passion and enthusiasm. It’s infectious. Nimmo plays every game as if it is his first … or last. How many times in these few weeks have you wondered, “what if everybody played like Nimmo?” Cespedes certainly doesn’t have Nimmo’s passion.

However, even with the emergence of Nimmo, the Mets are still pining for Cespedes. Both GM Sandy Alderson and Callaway spoke of the need for him to get back, and also the amount of money they are paying him. Cespedes will make $29 million this year and next, and $29.5 million in 2020.

“It’s been big,’’ Callaway said. “We count on his offense. We’ve paid him a lot of money to come out there and produce, and we don’t have him right, so it’s been tough.’’

What the Mets should have learned last month is even when Cespedes returns, Nimmo, who makes $555,968 this year, needs to play. The bench and minor leagues should be something said in past tense about him.