Jerry Manuel met with the New York and national media this afternoon and touched on the following issues, saying:
* The injury reports have been good and said Jose Reyes is expected to be ready for spring training.
* He anticipates David Wright having a more normal power season in 2010.
* The team can live with Daniel Murphy’s power production at first base if power comes from other sources, naming Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jeff Francoeur and whomever plays left field. Even so, he said the team remains open to bringing back Carlos Delgado.
* Bobby Parnell will come to spring training as a reliever.
* He hasn’t given up on Oliver Perez. “We have to be optimistic at this time,” he said.
Sorry for the late post on this. The Mets will bring back Alex Cora to a one-year, $2 million contract for the 2010 season with a vested club option for 2011.
Which means if he plays as much as he did last year, a contract would kick in for the 2011 season. Because of the Jose Reyes injury, Cora played far more than the Mets anticipated when they signed him. He’s a great clubhouse presence by all accounts, a professional Reyes and others can learn from.
They can learn from him because he’s 34 years old.
I like, and I don’t like, this move. The Mets would have had to get a utility infielder anyway, so they might as well bring back somebody who has been productive for them. That’s the plus side.
On the down side, what really would have been the demand for Cora next winter? Had he not been given the option, I’m sure the Mets could have brought him back for 2011. It’s basically a two-year deal, something that didn’t work out with Moises Alou and Orlando Hernandez.
In a prepared statement, Cora said: “I am excited about coming back. We have a lot to prove as a team after what happened last year. As for me personally, there is unfinished business. I was hurt a great deal of the time and I really wasn’t able to perform like I know I can. I’m healthy now and I can’t wait to get to spring training. We all have something to prove.”
Thanks Annie and Ray for the kind words yesterday. I hope you all had a happy holiday with your family and friends.
WRIGHT: Will he get his HR swing back?
The day after Thanksgiving should be pretty quiet. I’m figuring things will heat up at the beginning of next week on into the winter meetings in Indianapolis, starting Dec. 7.
I don’t believe the Mets will be as aggressive as Jeff Wilpon lead us to believe after the season or as many of you want them to be. I also don’t think they’ll be totally stagnant, either, as even they know another season like next year won’t fly.
They can’t and shouldn’t be thinking a healthy return of the injured will be enough, because it won’t be. Continue reading →
There were some interesting comments late last night on the Manager of the Year post. I was asked whether I saw young guys seemingly not care after a loss.
I sure did. Saw it during the games, too. And, yes, Tom Glavine and Billy Wagner spoke out about it. I wrote it several times. Some guys, Lastings Milledge for one, and Jose Reyes was another, who came across as not caring at times.
GLAVINE: Quote misunderstood.
Although Carlos Beltran is quiet, I never got that impression from him. Carlos Delgado? Well, let’s just say he never wore a loss on his face.
As far as Glavine being a fraud? I don’t buy it. Never have and never will. Yes, he got shelled, and yes he answered a question by saying “this is not devastating.” Glavine’s problem was he was too literal in his use of the word. The rest of the quote, and I’m paraphrasing, “is losing a child or a loved one is devastating not losing a baseball game.”
In that context he’s right. Believe me, he was embarrassed and angry at his performance. He just wasn’t devastated.
For the Mets to become the team they have promised they will be, there’s tweaking in some areas, hoping in a few more, and throwing money at several others in what has been described as a less-than-stellar free-agent market. Continue reading →