Jose Reyes will be examined by doctors in New York today. Reyes has been sidelined with an overactive thyroid condition. There will undoubtedly be speculation the condition is related to being treated by Canadian Dr. Anthony Galea, who is being investigated for the distribution of performance enhancing drugs.
WFAN’s Craig Carton speculated at length about that this morning.
Both Reyes and Carlos Beltran were treated by Galea, but neither have been accused of any wrong doing.
Also reported in camp this morning:
* Still complaining of weakness in his shoulder, reliever Kelvim Escobar has shut it down and it is doubtful he’ll be ready for the start of the season.
* Mike Pelfrey, who was struck on his right knee Saturday, will throw in the bullpen today. There are no indications Pelfrey’s next start or work program will be impacted.
* Francisco Rodriguez, who has been out with pink eye, has been cleared to resume work outs and is back in camp. His condition will prevent him from wearing contact lenses, so it is back to the goggles look he had with the Angels.
* Fernando Tatis is day-to-day with a sore left knee. Nick Evans will be out at least a week with a strained forearm.
* John Maine will start today’s exhibition. More on Maine this morning.