We’re expected to talk with Mets GM Omar Minaya shortly.
Jerry Manuel met with the New York and national media this afternoon and touched on the following issues, saying:
* The injury reports have been good and said Jose Reyes is expected to be ready for spring training.
* He anticipates David Wright having a more normal power season in 2010.
* The team can live with Daniel Murphy’s power production at first base if power comes from other sources, naming Wright, Carlos Beltran, Jeff Francoeur and whomever plays left field. Even so, he said the team remains open to bringing back Carlos Delgado.
* Bobby Parnell will come to spring training as a reliever.
* He hasn’t given up on Oliver Perez. “We have to be optimistic at this time,” he said.
The Mets are meeting today with the agent for left-hander Randy Wolf. Could be posturing on Wolf’s part, as he wants a three-year deal. Not sure if the Mets want to go that long with him. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting Wolf is talking to the Brewers about a three-year deal in the $28 million range.
The Mets are also expected to meet with John Lackey’s agent before the meetings break up.
Omar Minaya admits the Mets are talking trade, and one interesting rumor surfaced late last night. Milwaukee, with outfielder Corey Hart coming to the Mets for pitcher John Maine. Makes for interesting winter meetings reading on Day One of the winter meetings, but that’s all it is.
The Mets are so thin at starting pitching, and with John Maine pitching well enough at the end of last season to ease concerns about his health, there’s no way they are dealing him at this stage. Bats are always easier to acquire than power arms and there’s an upside to Maine.
I wouldn’t make this deal for that reason. How about you?
While the Mets are deciding which middle-tier pitcher they should pursue, the Braves and Phillies have already improved from last season.
The Braves needed to address their bullpen, and have done that with the signings of Billy Wagner (I knew he wasn’t going to retire) and Takashi Saito. They’ve also offered arbitration to Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez. The Braves need an outfield bat and are interested in Marlon Byrd.
The Philles have Cliff Lee coming back and are in on the Roy Halladay Sweepstakes. Yes, they have enough chips to get that done. The Phillies just upgraded to Placido Polanco at third base.
The Phillies’ bullpen was a huge reason they didn’t repeat. Fernando Rodney is a closer option. They are also considering John Smoltz and J.J. Putz in set-up roles.