Mets Get Positive DeGrom News, But Should Be Cautious

When it comes to Mets pitching injuries, I’ve always said: Bet the over.

One day after Jacob deGrom left Wednesday’s game with a hyperextended right elbow, the Mets cleared him to make his next start after an MRI revealed no ligament damage.

We should know more after he throws Friday in preparation for Monday’s game.

“There’s nothing wrong with him,’’ manager Mickey Callaway told reporters prior to today’s game against Atlanta. “He’s gonna try to make his start on Monday.’’

While that’s positive news, I can’t help but think of the times the Mets were encouraged with Matt Harvey and Noah Syndergaard before they went down long time.

DeGrom said he felt something after swinging at a pitch in the bottom of the third inning Wednesday. He pitched the top of the fourth then left the game.

Seriously, don’t you remember the Mets’ history dealing with injuries? What would it hurt to push him back at start to be sure? That would be better than losing him for the season.

When asked about possible replacements, Callaway did mention Harvey, but Harvey shouldn’t get that chance until the Mets are convinced he’s ready. So far, he hasn’t been sterling out of the pen.

2 thoughts on “Mets Get Positive DeGrom News, But Should Be Cautious

  1. Hopefully the Mets dodged a bullet but DeGrom says his arm hurts and he swing the bat any more but Callaway agrees to send him out to pitch.? Isn’t Callaway supposed to be the adult making decisions? Like you said, the Mets have a history of underestimating recovery times.
    Thank heavens Cespedes found all his diamonds. That could have been a real catastrophe!