Niese complained of a dead arm early in camp and the weakness was revealed in a MRI taking in New York, Feb. 26.
Niese threw two innings in an intrasquad game last Thursday and reported no pain or discomfort.
“It’s a great feeling to go out there and not feel any pain in your shoulder,’’ Niese said that day. “It was a great step forward to go out on the mound and feel very close to 100 percent.’’
* Ike Davis, as you know, is hobbling in a walking boot on his right foot and isn’t ready to do anything.
* Will today be the day Wilmer Flores starts at shortstop?
* Daniel Murphy (bruised right shin) remains day-to-day.
* Lucas Duda hit in the cage Monday. Perhaps he could graduate to batting practice today?
* Here’s the rest of the week: Wednesday, St. Louis; Thursday, at Washington Nationals; Friday, at Miami Marlins; Saturday, Minnesota (SS) and Chicago Cubs at Las Vegas; Sunday, at St. Louis Cardinals and Cubs at Las Vegas.
ON DECK: What to make of Mets’ spring training so far.