Can you believe it, New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson, declared in a staff meeting his belief his team is capable of winning 90 games this season.
Manager Terry Collins told the players they should take it as a compliment.
In addition to the issues with Davis and Tejada, the Mets have significant questions with their starting pitching, which won’t include Matt Harvey. Also, the Mets have questions about their catcher, outfield and leadoff situation.
In addition this week:
* Davis (calves) and Lucas Duda (left hamstring) were sidelined. Tejada was also shelved with a strained hamstring.
* Pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard continued to impress with two scoreless innings Monday against the Braves.
* Curtis Granderson homered twice in an exhibition victory Tuesday over Houston.
* Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg, who underwent elbow surgery, said he is willing to talk with Matt Harvey about his rehab.
* Jenrry Mejia, competing for a spot in the rotation or in the bullpen, said his elbow is pain free.
* Jonathon Niese said he’s not feeling pain in his left shoulder.