Closer Bobby Parnell did not throw today because of tightness in his left quadriceps muscle sustained covering first base Thursday afternoon.
Parnell threw 35 pitches Tuesday and is listed day-to-day, although manager Terry Collins is hopeful he’ll be able to go off the mound Saturday.
Parnell is recovering from neck surgery and his availability to start the season is questionable.
* Collins hinted outfielders Matt den Dekker, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Andrew Brown and Cesar Puello would likely open the season at Triple-A Las Vegas. “I think Matt den Dekker is still a huge prospect here.’’ Collins said. “It gives us an ample amount of insurance.’’
* General manager Sandy Alderson said he doesn’t want Mets catchers to block the plate this season. Alderson wants to avoid collisions as to stay healthy.
* Former Mets second baseman Edgardo Alfonzo is in camp as a roving minor league instructor.
* Pitching prospect Chasen Bradford won’t be able to throw for a week because of a strained oblique muscle.
* Position players underwent physicals today and the team will have its first full-squad workout Saturday.