I just finished up a conference call with GM Sandy Alderson. Among the highlights:
* If the Mets were in contention at the trade deadline he would have the financial flexibility to add a player or pitcher.
* Alderson would like to see an improvement in Jose Reyes’ on-base percentage. He said Reyes’ performance, along with where the team is will be the key factors in a contract extension. If Reyes is performing well and the team is not, the Mets could still sign him to an extension. Alderson said the Mets would have the financial resources to extend Reyes.
* He said he is not concerned with Jason Bay’s lack of power during spring training and believes he will adjust to Citi Field this summer.
* Said Nick Evans is still in the mix to make the team, especially if Carlos Beltran starts the season on the disabled list.
* Is not surprised the second base decision is lasting this long.